ESB PLAYLIST 2/25/05
first off, tops to torontoist for their post about us. much appreciated.
second, head to the duff tonight for the reopening party. shit will be outrageous. "sounds like a party that will get shut down," said one acquaintance of mine who plans on attending. let's hope it doesn't, but if it does, we'll make the best of it.
and now, today's menu...
HILARIOUS HOUSE OF FRIGHTENSTEIN - Title Theme ft. Vincent Price
* remember that classic canuck kid show? and remember the wolfman? blogger Danger Zone is calling upon the kids in the sphere to collect all 100 songs played on the wolfman's psychadelic rock n' roll review called EECH.
INTERVIEW w/ CARL WILSON of ZOILUS
* it finally happened, and he gave us gold.
SEGMENT ON BLOGGING FROM THE DAILY SHOW
* steven colbert confesses to killing pandas and his relation to hitler while discussing blogging with host jon stewart. absolutely priceless comedy.
GALAXY - Aint No Girls on the Radio (insert obligatory ironic comment here)
GALAXY - Nightmares
GALAXY - Slashpile
* this band blows my brains out. i was totally impressed by them last weekend at the gladstone and have declared in two separate emails that i am their new superfan. go see them at the horseshoe on monday when they open for Tracy and the Plastics. download the tunes on their site.
0=0 - Vessel
0=0 - Doorway
0=0 - Song For Magda
* three exclusive tracks from the genius behind local label Synaptic Plastic.
SUPER SUPER MAMBO JAZZ - Gor Mahia FC
SUPER SUPER MAMBO JAZZ - Wakulima Wa Kenya
* more selections from Akwaaba Sound System to round out our Black History Month picks. much thanks to Pieter, who brought back these classic cuts from his African trip and ripped them from vinyl to mp3. these are very treasured recordings, so just know that few people get to hear this stuff on the radio anymore.
HOT HOT HEAT - Eyes Ears Mouth
* yet another new demo courtesy of Stereogum.
THE CREEPING NOBODIES - Les Petits Clefs Noires
* i had some time left, so i figured i'd throw in this dark little number by the kings and queens of what i like to call "shadow music". most of the nobodies' current members were not part of the band quite yet, but valerie uher and sarah richardson (guitar/vox and keys/vox respectively) can be heardplaying percussion on this track. please please please by this album.
tune in next week, as we've got some early out of print tapes from the boards of canada brought to the digital realm, friday at noon et on CIUT 89.5FM in toronto. www.ciut.fm on the web.